Delicious.com

Attention Kids - Watching the President Will NOT Melt Your Brain

So as I'm sitting eating dinner with the kids Friday night, I get a robo-call from the superintendent for my son's school district to let me know about the measures the district will be taking in the face of President Obama's speech to students on Tuesday.

It was a businesslike call and didn't reflect nearly the level of general freak-outedness that's been revolving around this seemingly otherwise innocuous event. I'm still trying to get a grip on why there's so much fuss, but what really confuses me is how those opposed to El Presidente speaking to the kids (about education! Horrors!) have let it trickle down to actually INVOLVE the children.

I do my best not to burden my oldest with the intricacies of "grown-up" politics (and just how childish they can really be) so he's aware of little other than the fact that Obama is our president and Daddy and Mommy happened to vote for him.

I don't openly grouse about my politics in front of the kids because discussing with them my reasons for griping isn't something I'm interested in doing just now. Let's at least wait until elementary school before they start grasping how much these issues can make people dislike each other.

On a number of levels, I really do resent the freaky fringe for making me take this discussion to a higher level. Is there any reason a five-year-old she be privy to the sordid workings of the folks who would demonize the person in charge of the nation at the expense of children?

Honestly, I'd be hip to the boy watching any president speak directly to him. Were it back in the W. days, bring him on. If McCain had won, I'd be happy for him to watch. Kids draw their own conclusions (just ask the nearest child who was paying attention whether he preferred O or Mac - chances are the overwhelming response would be "That old man sounded kinda mean!").

I also resent that my district, and districts throughout the country, are being forced to spend money many of them don't have on initiating contact with parents (some of don't care and others who, stupidly, might actually opt out of their kids viewing the speech or keep them home from school in protest) over an issue that is, at it's heart, pretty dumb and the result of some spectacularly narrow thinking.

For the young children like mine, I hope they remain blissfully unaware of the controversy. For the older children, my wish is that their parents say, "Watch the speech, learn something and maybe be inspired."

For those kids whose parents express some objection and sign opt-out forms, my advice would be to get up a good head of adolescent rebellion and watch anyway. When you're 16, it's easy to declare that your parents are idiots. Now would be a good time for some kids to prove it.